Recently, the Federal Communication Commission has established new rules to further the regulation under Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991 (TCPA legislation). These enhanced rules give consumers more protection from so-called “telemarketing robocalls”, i.e. unwanted autodialed or pre-recorded telemarketing calls.
Under the new TCPA legislation:
- Written consent for all autodialed or pre-recorced telemarketing calls to mobiles and landlines has to be given
- There has to exist an option to opt out of robocalls, even if it is during the middle of such a call
- A limit on permissible abandoned calls on a per-calling campaign basis to deter intrusive calling campaigns
The only entities exempt from the TCPA legislation are calls made by health care related entities which are regulated under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. Also exempt are mobile campaigns that direct the public to a specific landing page.
How does this affect the lead generation industry?
- The good news is that these new rules offer ample room for innovation. Companies that are not able to adapt to these enhanced TCPA legislation guidelines, will most likely cease to exist. For the rest of the lead industry, this offers a unique opportunity to attract consumers in non-traditional ways.
- There is an increased focus on the end user. With these regulations, user experiences will improve by protecting them from fraud and spam. Since the lead gen industry tends to have a reputation to be a breeding ground for fraud, this will hopefully improve the overall trust in the industry. Speaking in terms of reputation, this can only be a good thing for lead gen.
ReviMedia has always taken great pride in being at the forefront of new technology and accepting/complying with any and all regulatory changes to the climate of the lead generation industry. Further, transparency has always and will continue to be our number 1 priority when it comes to our business model and ventures. Giving an unobscured view into what we do is truly the key to success in each of our minds.
Moreover, ReviMedia actively tries to develop and implement innovative and thorough lead scoring and verification that raise quality standards in the overall industry to increase trust among players. We therefore welcome the enhancement of the TCPA legislation as a development that will further decrease practices that damage the reputation of this industry.